Curriculum: English + digital learning > School stories resource
Using ICT to support English
To access relevant software to assist with the teaching and learning of English please go to the eduSTAR catalogue
- From ABC to ICT - Munno Para Primary School: Year 6-7 students use Audacity and PowerPoint to create interactive phonics games for younger students.
- Team teaching - Quarry Hill Primary School: How the introduction of netbooks has strengthened the team teaching approaches of Years 5-6 teachers and enhanced the literacy and numeracy programs.
AusVELS: All Strands
- Waxing lyrical - St Helena Secondary College: Year 7 students wrote and produced original rap songs using Microsoft Songsmith that could be used by Year 10 students who were making movies.
- Literacy rules - Ferny Grove State School: Year 7 students use a class wiki to collaborate and access web2.0 tools to improve literacy and thinking (applicable to any year level).
AusVELS: All Strands
- Analysing current affairs - Varsity College: Year 10 students analyse current affairs shows and present their findings using Windows Live Movie Maker, Microsoft Office, PowerPoint and Audacity.
- Backchanneling - Kedron State High School: Year 10 students use backchanneling while watching a video to comment, ask questions, inquire and discuss, all without breaking the flow of the video (applicable to L4 and above).
AusVELS: Literature, Language
- Is ‘doh’ a real word? - Kedron State High School: Year 10 students use a number of online tools to discover the etymology of the English language while increasing their vocabulary. A wiki was used for answers and discussion.
- The science of poetry - Australian Science and Mathematics School: Year 10-11. Engage reluctant students with poetry by offering relevant ways for them to form opinions and the chance to create a digital resource. Students created ‘bricks’ – digital collages of images using the internet, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Meet you online! - Geelong High School: A VCE teacher used web2.0 tools to share resources with students to increase their collaboration and organisation. Tools included Stixy, Diigo, Penzu and Eyeplorer (applicable to any year level).
- Machinima - Golden Square Secondary College: Secondary - This 1 minute video outlines how students at Golden Square Secondary College are using Machinima for story writing and to create games.
- Radio Station at Bona Vista Primary School. Students developed radio segments that were uploaded onto a wiki for sharing and then created a 'weekly' radio station. By embedding ICT in literacy with a focus on media our students have experienced higher levels of engagement with an increase in their performance in literacy.
- English teachers at three different secondary schools show how they use ICT effectively in their lessons.
From ABC to ICT - Munno Para Primary School
Analysing current affairs - Varsity College
Backchanneling - Kedron State High School
Is ‘doh’ a real word? - Kedron State High School
Literacy rules - Ferny Grove State School
Meet you online! - Geelong High School
Team teaching at Quarry Hill Primary School
The science of poetry - Australian Science and Mathematics School
Waxing lyrical - St Helena Secondary College
Machinima - Golden Square Secondary College